Faced with a difficult climate situation in much of China, the General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party Xi Jinping, reappeared before the media and had to ask officials to take much more effective control measures to manage the floods.
As Taiwan News points out, Xi initially refrained from making any statements regarding the severe weather conditions that have been taking place in China and which today mainly affect the central and southern parts of the country.
More than a month after a rise in flood alerts, Xi has made his concern known and urged Chinese Communist Party (CCP) officials to take more effective measures, noting that “the flood prevention situation is bleak.”
Xi acknowledged to the state broadcasters that the water levels of the Yangtze and Huaihe rivers, as well as Lake Dongting, Lake Poyang and Lake Tai have exceeded the warning line. At the same time, he acknowledged that the severe floods that are occurring in the municipality of Chongqing, and in Jiangxi, Anhui, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces, have caused numerous losses of life and property.
Xi said China had “entered a crucial period of flood control” and called on Chinese Communist Party committees and authorities at all levels to take responsibility and make greater efforts to prevent the challenges of the current situation in order to care of the affected people.
According to an AFP news agency report issued on Monday, July 13, “Thirty-three rivers have reached record highs, while alerts have been issued on a total of 433 rivers, officials from the Ministry of Water Resources said during a briefing in Beijing on Monday.”
From China’s Ministry of Water Resources (MWR) and the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters decreed an elevation of the emergency to level II, the second highest in its system, Chinese state media indicate that the floods had caused more than 11 billion in crop damage and about 20,000 people are without access to water or electricity.
According to Sun Jie, a member of Shangrao’s municipal fire brigade, rescuers are working to save mainly the elderly who did not have a chance to be evacuated before the floods came, the South China Morning Post reported.
As Breitbart News noted, Hubei Province has been particularly hard hit and has not been out of the state of emergency for a week largely because of the presence of the Three Gorges Dam.
According to reports from the CCP authorities, last week they opened the floodgates of the dam to release the retained water that ended up being released toward Wuhan.
According to Taiwan News, although the rainy season began last May 29 and then the Chinese Meteorological Administration issued alarms regarding heavy rains throughout the month of June, only on the June 29 did the CCP admit that it had released the contained water from the spillways for the first time this year.
However, Vinayak Bhat, a retired colonel from the Indian army, published on July 10 satellite images showing the dam opening its gates on June 24.
Official media indicated that so far the floods in China have affected 38 million people and destroyed 28,000 houses, leaving at least 141 dead. The floods affecting the country are the worst on record in more than 30 years.