The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) on Friday, May 15, admitted having destroyed samples of the CCP Virus (coronavirus) in the early stages of the outbreak that began in Wuhan, China.
“Based on comprehensive research and expert opinion, we decided to temporarily manage the pathogen causing the pneumonia as Class II—highly pathogenic—and imposed biosafety requirements on sample collection, transport, and experimental activities, as well as destroying the samples,” the National Health Commission’s Liu Dengfeng alleged, reported the South China Morning Post.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo repeatedly said that the CCP covered up information about the virus and blocked access to a virology laboratory in Wuhan that could be linked to the origins of the global outbreak.
“China didn’t share all of the information it had,” Pompeo told reporters last month. “It censored those who tried to warn the world, it ordered a halt to testing of new samples, and it destroyed existing samples. The CCP still has not shared the virus sample from inside of China with the outside world, making it impossible to track the disease’s evolution.”
We strongly believe that #China didn’t report the outbreak of the new #coronavirus in a timely fashion to the @WHO. Even after the CCP did notify the WHO of the coronavirus outbreak, China didn’t share all of the information it had. pic.twitter.com/D0tz1nbJRZ
— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) April 23, 2020
But Liu claimed that Pompeo’s remarks “were taken out of context and intended to confused,” insisting that the early samples at unauthorized labs were destroyed for biosafety reasons.
Pompeo said U.S. diplomats in China sent warnings detailing lax security at research laboratories in Wuhan 2 years ago.
“Those are the kind of projects we’ve been engaged in, trying to help make sure that the technical know-how was available in those labs,” he said. “And clearly, we need to investigate whether that took place here, whether they had the capability to handle the kinds of viruses that were being studied or worked on in that laboratory. We don’t know those answers. The Chinese Communist Party needs to open up and let us get those answers.”
Citing a report from an independent Chinese media outlet, Caixin Global, the Post noted that virus samples were sent to identify the virus early in the outbreak and the results on Dec. 27 show that the virus came from the same coronavirus family as SARS, which caused the 2002-2004 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome.
Still, the CCP told the World Health Organization on Jan. 14 that there had been no human transmissions of the virus within the country yet. Almost two months later the WHO declared the CCP Virus to be a global pandemic.
Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China🇨🇳. pic.twitter.com/Fnl5P877VG
— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) January 14, 2020