A man in New York City who was released without bail after being charged with attempted murder dragged a police officer with a car before going on an hours-long crime spree, the city police said. 

According to the New York Police Department (NYPD), Takim Newson was driving a car in Brooklyn when cops arrested him for being double-parked and having heavily tinted windows. Newson was slurring his words and admitted to police that he had smoked marijuana, NYPD told Fox News.

According to police video footage of the incident, an officer informed him he wasn’t under arrest but asked him to get out of the car. In a video shared on social media by the NYPD, the car was seen going in reverse and dragging an officer a short distance before taking off.

The officer was admitted to NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn for treatment after suffering a back injury and bruises to his knees and elbows.

Dermot Shea, the Commissioner of Police, later tweeted about the incident.

About 90 minutes later, Newson reportedly broke into a house 15 miles away, where he forced his way inside by smashing the door handle,  sources said.

The ex-con and suspected member of the Edgemere Crew gang assaulted a 66-year-old woman by claiming to have a gun in his pocket but fled without taking anything after cops arrived at the scene.

Newson’s girlfriend and mother, the woman, said, have been living in her basement since they ran into financial difficulties last year.

“I thought I was opening my home up to someone who was in need,” she said. “It turned into hell. A living nightmare.”

While Newson was allegedly hiding out there, “he threw the plants around at me and my son,” she said, adding, “It was scary. It was very scary.”

Newson allegedly stole a Jaguar sedan after the suspected break-in, police said. The owner of the luxury ride left it running to warm up there before heading to work.

The stolen car triggered a license plate reader, which led to his arrest,  the New York Post reported. 

The man has now been charged with assault on a police officer and robbery.

In February, during an attempted Valentine’s Day robbery at a Queens bar, Newson reportedly shot someone in the groin. He fled the city and was apprehended this month at his mother’s home in Rocky Mount, N.C., according to police.

According to authorities, prosecutors had requested that he be held in custody awaiting trial, but despite his lawyer’s request for $50,000 bail, a judge released him without setting bail. Before her election in November, the said judge, Queens Judge Denise Johnson, was classified “not approved” by the city Bar Association.

A spokesman for the state court system declined to comment on Shea’s tweet, citing an earlier statement in which Johnson said that supervised release was “the least restrictive form of bail as is required by the law, was supervised release.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.