The horrific sight of a block party shootout on July 4 in Toledo, Ohio, was captured on the Toledo Police Department’s bodycam video (TPD). They arrived as gunshots rang out in a chaotic scene.

Officers revealed body camera footage of the violence on Thursday, July 8. Gunshots could be heard outside the automobile as police arrived.

One officer can be heard yelling, “Get out.” As crowds fled, the two police officers exited the van and hurried toward the site. “Go! Go! Find cover! Move! Move!” exclaimed the officer wearing the bodycam.

Someone shouted, “Police! Police!” A person of interest was promptly spotted by the police. “Show your hands! Don’t f**ing move! Don’t f**ing move!” The officer ordered.

Gunshots and other sirens could still be heard in the background. The partygoers were told to remain still.

Another officer was overheard on the radio pleading for help, stating, “We’ve got multiple shooters everywhere.” Then, near the end of the three-and-a-half-minute video, a truck drove away from the site, though it’s unknown if shooters were inside.

According to Chief Kral, shots were still being fired as the first officers got to the area, although no shots were fired by TPD officers. Seventy police from the TPD, seven deputies from the Lucas County Sheriff’s Office, and seven Ohio State Highway Patrol officers were dispatched.

The officers “jumped into action right away,” Kral said, adding that they were in a dangerous situation. So he wanted to express his gratitude to them. While others were fleeing, the cops were rushing toward a shooting incident—and they possibly protected people.

Hundreds of people were battling near Lawrence Avenue and North Detroit Avenue at a block party just before 12:30 a.m. on Monday, July 5, when gunfire rang out, said Toledo Police. Twelve individuals were shot in all, one of whom died. More than 80 bullets were discharged from multiple firearms, Police Chief George Kral reported.

“Unfortunately when we have 12 people shot and we’re not getting a whole lot of cooperation, it’s frustrating for our investigators,” Chief Kral added. The cause for the shooting has yet to be identified.

According to TPD, 17-year-old Stephon Johnson was flown to the University of Michigan for treatment, where he later died. Nine victims, most of whom are teenagers and an 11-year-old child, were in stable condition. However, a 51-year-old and a 19-year-old were in a serious condition as of Friday, July 9, The Associated Press stated.

At this time, TPD has not discovered any suspects, and witnesses are refusing to cooperate. A $5,000 reward is offered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives for evidence that leads to the detention of those involved in the incident.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.