A northern Illinois teen accused of shooting anti-police demonstrators will stay behind bars unless he can cover the very expensive bail.
Antioch, Illinois, resident Kyle Rittenhouse will continue to be detained after a Wisconsin court decided to set a cash bail bond at $2 million.
Court Commissioner Loren Keating decided the amount was fair because the 17-year-old could easily board a flight out of the Badger State.
“The charges are incredibly serious and again, if a conviction occurs there would be a likelihood of an imposition of a mandatory life sentence or at least significant amounts of time, likely decades of a period of incarceration,” he said according to the Daily Caller. “I believe that there is a reasonable basis to flee.”
Kenosha County prosecutors previously charged Rittenhouse with killing Anthony Huber, 26, and Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, and injuring Gaige Grosskreutz, 22, according to the criminal complaint obtained by the Guardian. Charges include the “first-degree reckless homicide” of Rosenbaum and “first-degree intentional homicide” of Huber.
Father of one victim Anthony Huber, who originally asked for bail to be set at $10 million, welcomed Keating’s decision. He claimed Rittenhouse appeared to believe he was “above the law.”
“He has been created as such by law enforcement,” he said according to the Daily Caller. “He believes he is justified in this case and for him to run would not surprise me.”
Rittenhouse maintains he acted in self-defense, a statement the president has deemed plausible.
President Donald Trump recently revealed graphic footage of the alleged incident that strongly suggests Rittenhouse only opened fire after falling to the ground and being attacked by protesters in Kenosha.
“You saw the same tape as I saw and he was trying to get away from them,” he said in a statement. “I guess it looks like he fell and then they very violently attacked him.”
The president does not believe the teen would have pulled the trigger unless he truly believed his life was in danger.
“I guess he was in very big trouble,” he said. “He would have been … he probably would have been killed.”
Facebook Inc. has made it difficult to share footage of the incident, especially after its moderation team quickly removed a handheld video showing Rittenhouse coming to the aid of people who were wounded during extreme anarchist protests.
“Facebook just removed a video I posted showing Kyle Rittenhouse offering help to a wounded protester in Kenosha and are threatening to delete my entire account,” political author Mark Dice said on Twitter.
The offending video showed a group of people walking down a quiet suburban street. Rittenhouse appears on the screen and can be heard identifying himself as an emergency medical technician (EMT) and offering to help stabilize their medical conditions.
“I am an EMT, what have we got?” the teenager can be heard saying. “I am an EMT, if you are injured come to me. You got any injuries? Bring them over here, we have got a medic.”
Although the content did not appear to encourage violence Facebook confirmed it is officially classifying the 17-year-old’s actions as “mass murder” and removing any content that appears to support him. Rittenhouse has so far not been found guilty of murder by any court.
“We have designated the shooting in Kenosha a mass murder and are removing posts in support of the shooter, including this one,” a Facebook spokesperson said according to Breitbart.
However, a screenshot of the now-deleted Facebook post does not appear to take any position on the shootings.
“Newly uncovered video of Kyle Rittenhouse shows him helping an injured protester after she was struck in the foot with a projectile,” Dice said. “In another video, he told the cameraman that he brought a medical kit, which is the bag he was carrying. Further proving he had no malicious intent by showing up. In fact, he was there to help anyone who needed it.”
Rittenhouse is scheduled to return to court on Dec. 3.