On Friday, April 16, Indianapolis officials said that after shooting “randomly” inside and outside a building of the FedEx facility in Indianapolis, a gunman who killed eight people at the site killed himself when police closed in.

The shooting spree also injured five others who are expected to survive.

The bodies of four of the fatal victims were found outside in a parking lot, while the bodies of the four others were inside the facility.

After the carnage, police officials said the shooter was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and that he had used a rifle to commit the murders, reports the New York Post.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Deputy Chief Craig McCartt said the investigation is still in its “infancy,” while FBI Special Agent in Charge Paul Keenan said, “I can tell you there is no further threat.”

“By the time officers entered [the building], the situation was over. The suspect took his own life very shortly before officers entered the facility,” said McCartt, adding that the gunfire only lasted “a couple of minutes.”

He said that when officers first arrived on the scene, they found a “very chaotic and active crime scene.”

“He just appeared to randomly start shooting, and that began in the parking lot, and he did go into the facility for a brief period of time before he took his own life,” McCartt said of the killer.

The gunman was later identified as Brandon Scott Hole, a 19-year-old Indianapolis resident, who authorities said was questioned last year by the FBI, McCartt told reporters at a press conference on Friday.

Hole worked at FedEx in 2020, according to officials. The company also confirmed his previous employment.

CNN reported that federal and local law enforcement officials were aware of Hole’s potential for violence.

Paul Keenan, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Indianapolis field office, said that Hole’s mother had called police in 2020 concerning that he might try to commit suicide by cop.

Hole was arrested on March 3, 2020, after police “seized shotgun from dangerous person,” according to local station WTHR-TV, which cited a police report, reports The Post.

According to Keenan, following Hole’s arrest, a search of his bedroom turned up several things that caused federal agents to interview him. However, the FBI found that he had committed no crime and that Hole had not been discussing any racially motivated ideology. Officials didn’t return the shotgun to Hole.

“Behavioral health unit initiated immediate detention,” stated the police report, which also said Hole purchased the shotgun shortly before being arrested and taken to the hospital.

The dead have yet to be confirmed, according to Alfarena McGinty, the Marion County Coroner’s Office’s chief deputy coroner, who outlined a rigorous identification procedure. The victims were expected to be identified within 72 hours, said the coroner. The victims must be positively identified by a family member and by dental records, DNA, and fingerprints.

Later in the day, police said a significant number of employees at the Indianapolis site are Sikhs, but it was unclear if they were being targeted specifically.

According to 13News, federal agents were seen hauling evidence from Hole’s home in an east-side Indianapolis neighborhood on Friday, including a large box and computer equipment.

More than 30 law enforcement vehicles arrived at the block on Friday morning, said the neighbors.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.