After assisting in the fight against protesters outside the Capitol in January, Police Officer Brian Sicknick suffered two strokes and died of natural causes. His mortality was not directly triggered by the incident, according to the Washington D.C medical examiner.

The medical examiner’s analysis, which was reported on Monday, April 19, in Washington, D.C, would make it challenging for prosecutors to create a homicide case in the officer’s mortality.

According to Francisco Diaz, the medical examiner, there was no proof that Sicknick had a response to bear spray. The cop had no external or internal wounds.

Sicknick, a 42-year-old Capitol Police officer who started working there in 2008, died around 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 7, one day after rioters burst into the Capitol as lawmakers counted electoral votes to confirm President Biden’s victory.

The policeman died after suffering two strokes at the base of his brain. According to the report, he died of “acute brainstem and cerebellar infarcts due to acute basilar artery thrombosis.”

In cases like this, the word “natural causes” indicates “disease alone causes death,” as Diaz clarified in his study.

But in their statement, Capitol Police said that “Sicknick passed away due to injuries sustained while on-duty.” 

“Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters. He returned to his division office and collapsed. He was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries. The death of Officer Sicknick will be investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, the USCP, and our federal partners.”

Sicknick was given the unusual distinction of having his casket visited by President Biden in the Capitol rotunda, and his cremated remains were sent to Arlington National Cemetery.

In a shared speech at that time, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer honored “the heroism of Officer Sicknick and the Capitol Police force during the violent insurrection against our Capitol.”

Early media reports said a fire extinguisher hit Sicknick, but a month later, news outlets reported that authorities began to dismiss that theory in favor of the theory that Sicknick was sprayed with an irritant, such as bear spray, and died as a result.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) Feb. 15 said he wanted to see the surveillance footage regarding the death of Sicknick during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

“I want to know precisely what happened to cause the death of Officer Brian Sicknick,” Gaetz said. “I mean, the Capitol complex has more surveillance than a casino, and you’re telling me we don’t have any video evidence of what exactly happened to cause that murder? I want to know.”

According to D.C. police, five other people died following the riot, including a woman who was fatally shot by a Capitol Police officer and four others who died after suffering medical emergencies. The riot prompted a Democratic-led impeachment against former President Donald Trump for “incitement of insurrection.” Trump was acquitted in the Senate trial in February.

Sicknick and other police were reportedly attacked with bear spray during the riot, and the rioter was arrested and charged.

According to ABC News, Julian Khater of Pennsylvania and George Tanios of West Virginia have been charged with conspiracy to injure police, assault on federal officers, and civil disorder.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.