A massive convoy of U.S. troops was sent into Syria on Thursday, Jan. 22, just 24 hours after Joe Biden was sworn in as president and took office as commander-in-chief, according to foreign media. 

According to an i24 News report, a convoy of about 40 trucks and armored vehicles entered northeastern Syria supported by helicopters. The convoy reportedly entered through al-Waleed Junction, Iraq, carrying weapons and logistical equipment to bases in Hasakeh and Deir Ezzor provinces.

According to the report, the additional troops were deployed to protect nearby oil fields in the vicinity of land controlled by Kurdish militias in eastern Syria.

“The US-led coalition has been working closely with the Kurds during the campaign against the Islamic State terrorist group in Syria, with Kurdish forces often working as ground coordinators for coalition jets during airstrikes,” i24 news wrote.

According to an Associated Press report various state agencies said that Israeli aircraft also fired missiles into central Syria and the attack killed a family of four with two children, although it also detailed that Syrian anti-aircraft defenses managed to intercept several of the missiles.

A Syrian military officer informed the state news agency SANA, that the strikes were directed against several military targets in and around the province of Hama. Israel has had hundreds of sorties against targets in Syria over the years that were linked to Iran.

According to AP, the Israeli strike is the first to be carried out since Biden took office.

At the end of last year, former President Donald Trump ordered U.S. forces present in the area to withdraw to neighboring Iraq.

Donald Trump made several diplomatic achievements in the Middle East during his administration, fulfilling his promise to reduce the number of troops in Iraq, sign a peace agreement with the Afghan Taliban after holding talks for a year, and finalize a peace agreement between Israel and the United Arab Emirates; as well as the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria.

Trump, who became the first president not to start a war abroad, stated on different occasions that it was time for the United States to end the “endless” and “ridiculous wars” that have had an extensive cost for the United States.

According to BizPac Review, in his initiative to withdraw troops from the Middle East, President Trump received pushback from his defense and national security advisers and some Cabinet members, leading to the firing or resignation of several.

The Taliban recently called on President Joe Biden to honor the U.S. agreement to withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by May and secure peace talks and end the two-decade war.

Mohammad Naeem, a senior spokesman for the Taliban’s political office in Doha, said, “Steps must now be taken to end the war, not to prolong it, and the agreement was made for the purpose,” as reported by the Hindustan Times.

While then-Democratic presidential candidate Biden stated in September that he wanted to reduce troop levels, he indicated that he would not withdraw U.S. forces completely.

During Biden’s inauguration last Wednesday, the Syrian government delivered a message imploring him to withdraw U.S. forces from the country.