A federal appeals court on Wednesday, Jan. 8, turned over a lower court ruling, allowing the Trump administration to transfer $3.6 billion in military construction funds to the southern border wall.
“The decision from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, based in New Orleans, lifts an injunction issued last month in Texas that blocked the reallocation plan,” USA Today reported.
“In the 2-1 ruling, judges granted the administration’s request to temporarily halt the nationwide injunction from U.S. District Judge David Briones of El Paso. Congress appropriated the $3.6 billion to the Department of Defense for 127 construction projects, Briones had ruled, so the Trump administration shouldn’t divert it to the border wall.”
President Trump tweeted on Thursday morning to celebrate the legal victory.
“Breaking News: The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a lower court decision & gave us the go ahead to build one of the largest sections of the desperately needed Southern Border Wall, Four Billion Dollars,” he posted.
“Entire Wall is under construction or getting ready to start!” the president added.
Breaking News: The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals just reversed a lower court decision & gave us the go ahead to build one of the largest sections of the desperately needed Southern Border Wall, Four Billion Dollars. Entire Wall is under construction or getting ready to start!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 9, 2020
Last December, the House passed a $1.4 trillion government spending package, that funds for President Trump’s U.S.-Mexico border wall—equal to last year’s appropriation.
Last year, President Trump declared a national emergency at the southern border, seeking billions for border wall funding.
“President Trump declared a national emergency over border security in February 2019, ordering government agencies to search for a total of $6.7 billion they could divert from military and other projects toward the construction of a wall that has formed a central plank of his presidency,” The Wall Street Journal reported.
“We’re going to confront the national security crisis on our southern border, and we’re going to do it one way or another,” President Trump said.
The Trump administration has built nearly a hundred miles of the border wall.
Newsweek reported last week: “In a border wall status report provided to Newsweek, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency said that as of December 27th, the Trump administration had overseen the construction of 98 miles of ‘new border wall system.’”
The Trump administration plans on building between 450 and 500 miles of fencing along the nearly 2,000-mile border by the end of 2020. The progress of border wall construction can be tracked at this website: “TrumpWallconstrution.”