Even though a husband couldn’t be with his wife in the hospital as she battled COVID-19, he found a sweet method to show his unwavering support and his love for her from afar.

Donna Crane spent ten days in the ICU of a Florida hospital fighting COVID-19 while her husband Gary stood in the parking lot holding an “I love you” sign.

Many people know how it feels, as, due to COVID-19 restrictions, patients are on their own once they enter the hospital. Even if family members want to be by their side, it is not possible. This can be heartbreaking for both, the patient and the family.

Gary went off to a craft store to get some materials and made that sign. He began making a friendly gesture every morning before work to show his support for Donna and assuage her anxieties because he was not permitted to enter the hospital.

“I just wanted her to know that because I know she was going to be scared and I couldn’t be there with her, and I just wanted her to know that I’m there,” he said.

Donna would glance out the window of her hospital room on the 10th floor and see her devoted husband demonstrating that he was always there for her.

Donna told how much it helped her: “The nurses would set me up in the bed … let me look out the window, let me see he was there at 8 a.m. and I knew, ‘Ok, we’re going to, we’re going to do this.'”

The first time she saw the sign, Donna said she “just started bawling.”

“My nurses were very sweet but they didn’t replace my Gary,” Donna said. “Gary coming with a sign every day to tell me he loves me was amazing. He was doing everything in his power to be there.”

Donna was diagnosed with COVID-19 in mid-August. She eventually became so ill that she couldn’t breathe and had to be admitted to the hospital with acute respiratory failure.

“It is the most terrifying thing you will ever experience in your life, just laying there not being able to take a breath,” Donna said.

Her husband took her to the emergency room. “That was the last I saw of her for 10 days,” Gary recalled.

Donna had to spend the following ten days in the hospital alone, away from her family, reported Newsner.

“I couldn’t see him, and that was the hardest part is not being able to have somebody there,” Donna said. “You would lay there in bed at night and you would hear code after code after code being called, and you just wonder what’s going to happen.”

Later, Donna was diagnosed with double pneumonia because of the virus. “It tore my lungs up,” she said.

Now, Donna is no longer in the hospital; she is relieved to have survived the terrifying incident.

The Port Orange resident is also relishing her second chance at life and looking forward to her future with Gary and their growing family.

“We just found out, my daughter is expecting,” Donna told the outlet. “We’re going to be grandparents, and that went through my mind. I want to hold my [grand]baby.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.