On Feb. 14, India’s Economic Times reported that The Indian government had banned many apps from mainland China three times before, and now it has issued a new ban on more than 54 Chinese apps from listing in India.
On Monday Feb. 14, Google said it temporarily blocked the access of the notified apps on Play Store.
Google India said in a statement, “On receipt of the interim order passed under Section 69A of the IT Act, following established process, we have notified the affected developers and have temporarily blocked access to the apps that remained available on the Play Store in India.”
As Indiatribune reported, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has formally issued a notification prohibiting the operation of 54 Chinese applications in India, following the transfer of ownership of some of these apps from the stable of Chinese businesses such as Tencent and Alibaba.
The latest ban issued by India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) shows that the reason for the ban is that these apps transfer sensitive information of the Indian people to overseas countries such as China.
These 54 apps allegedly obtain various critical permissions and collect sensitive user data. Real-time data is misused and transmitted to servers located in a hostile country.
Previously, the 2020 prohibition came amid a standoff in Ladakh with Chinese forces along the Line of Actual Control.
After a total of 267 app bans since 2020, this is the first set of apps to be blacklisted by India’s government this year.
In June 2020, the MeitY banned 59 Chinese apps, calling them “prejudicial” to India’s sovereignty, integrity, and national security. TikTok, Helo, WeChat, Kwai, Clash of Kings, Alibaba’s UC Browser and UC News, Likee, Bigo Live, Shein, Club Factory, and Cam Scanner were among the apps on the list.